Visas for Uganda

Who needs a Visa for Uganda? Everybody (except those from countries that have a bi-lateral understanding with Uganda on immigration issues) needs a visa to enter Uganda.

Here is the list of countries that have immigration arrangement with Uganda;

Angola, Antigua, Barbados, Bahamas, Belize, Comoros, Cypress, Fiji, Gambia, Grenada, Italy (Diplomatic passport holders only), Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Malta, Mauritius, Madagascar, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Solomon Islands, Singapore, Tonga, Vanuatu, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Nationals of these countries above are issued with gratis (free of charge) Ugandan visas on arrival but these can also be obtained from the Ugandan embassy/high commission in your country before you travel.

Therefore, as you prepare for your vacation in Uganda and look around for cheap flights to Uganda, don’t forget to find out more about your visa for Uganda. There are Ugandan embassies all over the world and certainly there will be one near you. Visit them, give them a call and they will be more than willing to help.

You can acquire a Visa for Uganda at any of the Ugandan embassies/High Commissions in your country or the nearest to you but also on arrival at Entebbe International Airport and at the other border immigration posts/stations.

This page tells you just about Ugandan visa – information you need to know. Determining which type of visa you require will very much depend on which country you travel from, the purpose of your trip and the length of your stay.

Ugandan visas are classified into different categories which you might want to explore further to know which one best suits your trip.

With the fees, these are the categories you are looking at;

  • Single Entry – $50
  • Muiltiple Entry (6 – 12 months) – $100
  • Muiltiple Entry (24 months) – $150
  • Muiltiple Entry (36 months) – $200
  • Student Entry – $100

… Which fees could change any time and on short notice. The same applies to the other entry requirements. My advice is to check with the Ugandan embassy/ High Commission/Consulate in your country for any changes in entry requirements before you travel.

Here is a quick checklist – You must have;

  • A valid Passport/ travel document – valid for at least 6 months beyond your arrival date
  • A return or onward tickets – if in transit
  • Reason for your visit
  • Address and contact number in Uganda
  • Proof of sufficient funds to see you through your stay

If you are visiting Uganda as a tourist, you will be looking at a single entry visa which is valid for up to 3 months. But may be you want to stay longer… then the other multiple entry tourist visas will come into play, depending on how long you intend to stay.

A valid ‘East African Tourist Visa‘ issued by Kenya or Rwanda is accepted. No need to pay for separate visas for the three countries provided you are coming to Uganda from the country that issued the visa.

If you are planning a business trip to Uganda – again depending on how much time you intend to stay in the country, a single entry will do. But if you are looking at fully exploring the business opportunities and the market Uganda offers, then safer with the multiple entry visa – particularly if you have to do a few trips back and forth.

Multiple entry visa extensions can quite easily be done in Kampala at the Ministry of Internal Affairs. So, no need to worry if your visa is running out and you still need to stay in the country as long as you do it before your current visa runs out, or else you get into all sorts of problems with the authorities.

The student entry visa is quite clear and will specify how long your stay will be.

Without limiting you to just the visa for Uganda, you might be planning to make a permanent move to Uganda and looking at living in Uganda much longer.

Yes! … You might also fall in love with this country after you have done a few days into your single entry visa and start having thoughts of extending your stay even indefinitely! There are immigration issues you will want to know.

Then of course you will be looking at obtaining a certificate of residence, a dependent’s pass if you are someone else’s dependent and a work permit to allow you work in Uganda – which you can also apply for at the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Kampala.